Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2015 15:01:44 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Panel: Please require the finalists to help with benchmarks

On Fri, Apr 03, 2015 at 12:59:53PM +0200, Dmitry Khovratovich wrote:
> We could try to develop several typical scenarios for benchmarking.

Agreed.

> Maybe people from industry could contribute with usecases.
>
> For example:
> Scenario 1 (cryptocurrency mining on x86 desktop):
>   maximum time: 1 second
>   maximum memory: 4 GB
>   maximum threads: unlimited

I'm not an expert in cryptocurrency issues, but from what I heard so far
the maximum time per hash computation is a lot lower, as needed to allow
for fast verification of transactions.  This is what keeps them at
around 2 MB currently.  Maybe an expert would chime in.

> Scenario 2 (password-based key derivation on x86 desktop):
>   maximum time: 5 seconds
>   maximum memory: 2 GB
>   maximum threads: unlimited

Personally, I'd set the maximum time at 1 or 2 seconds.  It's quicker to
type a few characters more than wait a few seconds more.

> Scenario 3 (password hashing on an authentication server):
>  maximum time: 0.1 seconds
>   maximum memory: 500 MB
>   maximum threads: 2

This scenario should be expressed in terms of request rate capacity on
given hardware.  The thread count per hash computed is 1.  The request
rate capacity is determined by running the maximum number of threads
supported in hardware, each hashing different passwords, and measuring
their total throughput in hashes per second.  The latency of each hash
may then be derived as threads/throughput, and it should remain sane -
like 0.1 seconds, as you say.  So I'd define this scenario as:

Scenario 3 (password hashing on an authentication server):
 throughput: 100, 1000, 10000 hashes per second per server (separate benchmarks)
 maximum latency: 0.1 seconds
 maximum memory: N/A since usually not reached anyway
 maximum threads: 1 per hash, and as many as hardware supports overall

Except on hardware with support for lots of threads (such as future CPUs
and current GPU/MIC cards), I think it's a bad idea to use multiple
threads per one hash computation in this scenario, because synchronizing
those threads may be very inefficient (and with hard to predict
efficiency loss) when the server is under some other load (even minor
load coming from parsing the authentication protocol).  When the
hardware supports lots of threads (like 100+), we might be forced to use
multiple threads per hash computed to keep the latency sane.

There's also scenario 4, password hashing in a libc's crypt(3) and such,
where the maximum memory usage may in fact be very limited.  The thread
count per hash computed is also exactly 1, and also only throughput and
latency with multiple concurrent requests matter (determine suitability
of a given scheme).

Scenario 3 will use a ROM if supported.  Scenario 4 won't.

> The measurements are done on the following metrics (the more the better)
>   metric 1: amount of memory filled
>   metric 2 to maximize: total bandwidth
>   metric 3 to maximize: total amount of computations, excluding memory
> access (e.g., total count of MUL/ADD/XOR operations, or taken with
> weights equal to their Haswell (for example) latencies)
>   metric 4 to maximize: computational latency (hardening), i.e. the
> length of the longest chain of computations expressed as above.

I think we shouldn't consider instruction latencies in metric 3 - the
relevant thing to consider would be die area of the corresponding
execution units, and obviously it's only relevant with very high degrees
of parallelism that the defender would somehow actually benefit from.
Another relevant aspect is whether the CPU is bumping into its maximum
instruction decode rate and such or not yet.  This is relevant for CPU
attacks (where more parallelism can be brought from higher level).

For metric 4, I think e.g. Haswell's latencies for simple instructions
like ADD and XOR are overly conservative, because we won't see a
sub-cycle latency for ADD even if that's possible in an ASIC.
(Pentium 4's double-pumped ALU comes to mind, though.)

> The designers then select 1 or more instances  (parameter sets) of
> their scheme, which compete in all scenarios. Then we look at the
> rankings. It'd be great to have a single instance that perform well in
> all scenarios (not necessarily being the winner in any).

Right.

yescrypt's current defaults are meant to be well-balanced in this
respect.  In fact, I was primarily benchmarking it for throughput in
scenarios 3 and 4 above, while also achieving high bandwidth usage (by
many concurrent threads) and high computation latency hardening, whereas
I see it benchmarked for scenario 2 by most others (who run benchmarks
at all) on this list.

Alexander