Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 08:37:32 -0700
From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...il.com>
To: "discussions@...sword-hashing.net" <discussions@...sword-hashing.net>
Subject: Re: [PHC] Information theoretic security for delegated hardening was:
 winner selection

Thanks for the great explanation!

In summary, your scheme is substantially more efficient since a low-powered
device does not need to compute two modular exponents for blinding.
However, your scheme is more complex.  Also, Adam's scheme is a sub-set of
your scheme.  Is this a fair summary of the situation?

Also, the "information-theoretic" argument against Makwa posted on this
list is flawed.  Factoring n is no harder than solving the knapsack problem
- both Adam's scheme and Makwa are provably about equally secure, and both
schemes fail when the attacker has unlimited computing power.

I was thinking that Adam's scheme has an advantage in that a low-powered
microcontroller need not store hundreds of huge blinding factors like we do
with Makwa.  Then I realized that the blinding factors could just be the
output of a CPRNG, such as SHA256(secret + i) for enough i values.  The
only advantage of Adam's scheme I can see is lower complexity.  For the
considerable improvement in performance, I prefer Makwa.

Bill

Content of type "text/html" skipped