Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 08:40:06 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: enhancing Argon2 (was: Competition process)

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 04:13:30PM +0200, Dmitry Khovratovich wrote:
> Adding both things to Argon2 would not be a problem. Actually, we
> already considered replacing our Blake2b round with BlaMKa (or any
> other modification that employs a low-latency high-throughput
> instruction). The S-boxes we did not consider yet.

I now think it'd be best to use the same approach I had suggested and
Bill implemented for TwoCats.  Since you're already fully loading the
SIMD units with BLAKE2b rounds, use the scalar units for a single
pwxform lane chain.  This wouldn't really be pwxform - it would be
neither parallel, nor wide since it'd be locked to just one lane.  So no
tunable parallelism there.  But other than that, it'd be the same thing,
and by tuning the total number of rounds for this un-pwxform that you
perform per your 1 KB block, you'd achieve the equivalent of the desired
tunable latency and parallelism limitation.  All with just one parameter.
And no need to introduce data dependencies between your BLAKE2b rounds,
then.  So this replaces my two-bit tunable parallelism idea.

Due to the S-boxes, this is only suitable for Argon2d.  You'll need to
use BlaMka or some S-box-less variation of un-pwxform for Argon2i.
In fact, you may also use BlaMka for Argon2d, along with un-pwxform, to
improve the tradeoff latency.

Alexander