Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 12:15:41 -0700
From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...il.com>
To: "discussions@...sword-hashing.net" <discussions@...sword-hashing.net>
Subject: Added multi-threading support to test suite

I've enhanced Milan's PHCtest on my github account to add a -p <threads>
parameter.  I only currently support this flag with argon, argon2d-sse,
lyra2-sse, yescrypt-2pw-sse, and yescrypt-sse.

Here's a summary of the fastest speeds, when run on my Xeon E5-1650 v2 @
3.50GHz.  All hashes were 1GiB:

Algorithm          Speed (in ms)
--------------------------------
Argon2d-sse          151
Yescrypt-2pw-sse     160
Yescrypt-sse         175
Lyra2-sse            258
Argon               1620

All but Argon are memory-bandwidth limiited.  Argon is external cache-miss
penalty limited, and is not well suited as an Scrypt upgrade (it would be a
downgrade, IMO).  However, since the PHC panel has not yet determined
whether to allow Argon2 into the competition, I've included Argon's
performance here.  Hopefully, this adds some support for allowing Argon2.

Argon2d, Yescrypt, and Lyra2 all provide excellent defense, IMO.  I think
the best defensive runs are, in order of defense:

Yescrypt-2pw-sse with 4 threads, hashing 1GiB in 167ms
Yescrypt-sse with 12 threads, hashing 1GiB in 175ms
Argon2d-sse with 8 threads, hashing 1GiB in 155ms
Lyra2-sse with 4 threads, hashing 1GiB in 218ms

If I understand correctly, the 2-round Yescrypt-2pw-sse run is slightly
more compute-time hardened than the 6-round Yescrypt-sse run.  The 6-round
version does make better use of all 6 of my CPU cores, but I do not think
an attacker will be very computation core limited.  I would rather just use
4 cores and get better runtime and compute-time hardening.

I rate Argon2d-sse after Yescrypt-2pw-sse and Yescrypt-sse for poorer
compute-time hardening and GPU defense, and Lyra2-sse after Argon2-sse for
it's longer runtime, since memory*time defense goes as the square of the
memory hashing speed.

All tests run 3 times, and I show best of 3 runs.
The numbers printed are: in out m_cost t_cost time[ms] memory[kb].

Argon-aesni
-----------

$ ./tst-argon-aesni -p1 -m1045000 -t0
8 32 1045000 0 15252 1041416