Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 00:18:21 +0000
From: Greg Zaverucha <gregz@...rosoft.com>
To: "discussions@...sword-hashing.net" <discussions@...sword-hashing.net>
Subject: RE: [PHC] Why protect against side channel attacks

Yes I (and others, like you Krisztián) have understood the technical mechanics of how the attack would work for a while.  But I hadn't thought through the whole scenario that I described in my email, and the part that was new to me was that there isn't a good way to recover from this type of attack, and OTOH some breakthrough that makes hashcat a lot faster can be dealt with relatively easily.   Again, apologies if this was pointed out before, I'm simply agreeing with it.

To Marsh's comment about the 10x. Even if it was discovered that the PHF with side-channel protections was no better than ROT13(salt||password), it's still easier to deal with than finding out attackers have been successfully exploiting side-channel attacks.

Greg