Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 16:41:07 +0100
From: denis bider <pwhashing@...isbider.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Password hashing as a self-overwriting Turing machine;
 Protection of keys in SSH

Bill,

thank you for your awesome reply! This is really the best I could ask for. You've been so thorough, you've already preempted what I might have replied to most of these points.

I was going to ask you which ones of the PHC candidates you favor; I'm glad you answered that as well, and explained your reasoning.

I did look at TwoCats! I liked the cat pictures :) I did not study  it extensively, but I found the idea of separate client-side vs.  server-side versions interesting, and also the use of multiplication for anti-ASIC strengthening.

With respect to my design - I would indeed like to have a greater number of operations than 4, but I had a lack of ideas about other good constructions that would not have wildly differing costs, and would preserve entropy. I would have liked CPU AES, but availability in hardware and ease of portability seem troublesome. This ought to be better in 5-10 years.

I see your point about the multiply-and-modulo operation, and how this can cause cache-timing leakage if the CPU optimizes it away when the result is not used. I see this as a tradeoff - I wanted to have the multiply-and-modulo because it's one of a few entropy-preserving operations I can think of that really favor a 64-bit CPU.

With regard to parallelism - I agree there's a clear and decisive advantage to this on the client, where cores are most often going unused. For use on the server, the advantages are less apparent: for a busy server, CPU cost is CPU cost, whether it's distributed 1*8 or 8*1. My design targets specifically the niche of an x64 server that cannot offload password hashing on the client, and needs to use an algorithm with a reasonable CPU and memory footprint.

With regard to ASIC and FPGA optimization: I think making an effort to defend against this, and succeeding to *some* extent, is important. However, maximizing such defense would matter primarily:

- For the most critical of passwords, which might motivate someone to invest tens/hundreds of thousands of USD (for FPGA) or millions (for ASIC) into cracking a class of passwords. (Arguably, if a class of passwords is *that* important, it ought to be complex enough that even a single SHA-256 would protect it.)

- For a proof-of-work hash for a digital currency that wants to encourage mining by casual enthusiasts, and have them be competitive with moneyed investors. Litecoin made the original attempt with scrypt, which kinda fell through. Vertcoin now uses Lyra2RE.

For everyday passwords, it seems we're defending primarily against hackers with botnets. Those have access primarily to commodity hardware they might purchase themselves, and other people's hardware to which they have surreptitious access. I can imagine them having significant GPU power at their disposal; possibly FPGA, if a well-to-do hacker is into that as a hobby; but access to custom ASICs seems very unlikely.

Having written that, though - it comes to mind that China is an attacker who is interested in commercial targets, is beyond the law, and is someone we need to be defending against as well. Hmm.

My other point is that there's value in variety. No one should use weak algorithms, by any means. However, if there's a single widely used strong algorithm, and it's used for everything from protection of common passwords to proof of work for a digital currency, *eventually* there may be cheap ASICs everywhere for that algorithm, such as there are now for SHA-256. In that case, an application may be better off using a different algorithm, just because there aren't readily available ASICs for it.

In order for this not to happen with PHC winners, they would have to be *strongly* resistant to more cost-effective implementation in ASIC. Do you believe any of the candidates truly resist this, if the stakes are high enough? Would you say this is the case for Yescrypt, Lyra2, or Argon2d? If yes - what properties of these algorithms do you think are critical in this?

With respect to password hashing in SSH, you are correct; the widely used methods are poor. But:

(a) When transferring private keys between implementations, the main obstacle is compatibility - if strong password hashing is to be used, both sides have to agree on the method. The dominant implementation dictates the most common interchange format; for client keys, this means PuTTY and OpenSSH.

(b) When encrypting private keys locally, the main obstacle is practicality. People often use public key authentication because they do not want to use a password. A large proportion of users, therefore, will not encrypt a private key, and this has to be supported.

(c) There's also no way to truly encrypt a key that must be used by an automated process. Anything that runs unattended must be able to access credentials without user input.

You are right that we could do more in case (a) when our own interchange format is used, and in case (b) when the user chooses to encrypt the private key. In this case, the most suitable password hashing function would be something other than BusyBeaver; something with threads, a larger CPU cost, and a larger memory footprint. I will recommend that we implement one of the PHC winners for this purpose, when they are chosen.

denis