Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2015 23:56:47 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Memory-hard proof of work with fast verification (CPU Hash)

On Mon, Jul 06, 2015 at 08:25:48PM +0000, Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn wrote:
> Forgive me if this is a naive question, but if you wanted a
> Proof-of-RAM for a cryptocurrency to be ASIC-resistant and (maybe)
> GPU-resistant (and I do want that!), then what's wrong with Argon2d
> with memory size = 1 GiB?

I guess Bill meant the "fast verification" bit in the Subject.  Filling
1 GiB isn't as fast as Bill would like verification to be.

However, Argon team recently described what may be a solution to that,
in Section 8 of:

"Research paper "Fast and Tradeoff-Resilient Memory-Hard Functions for
Cryptocurrencies and Password Hashing". Introduces Argon2 and its
fast-verification feature."

as available here:

https://www.cryptolux.org/index.php/Argon2

I haven't looked into this myself yet.  I guess Bill should.  And I
guess you did, Zooko?

> In other words, what's the point of the proposed ROM-hardness feature?

I originally proposed it for authentication servers, and it's similar:
need to support request rates in thousands per second, so can't fill a
lot of RAM within the allotted time.  This is compensated for by also
having a large ROM.  And yes, this is a different type of defense, with
its different properties, so no exact "compensation" - it can be worse
or better than simply filling more RAM each time, but usually filling as
much RAM as we'd use for a ROM is simply not an option (would be taking
too long for the use case where we'd also use a ROM).  Quite often, we
don't even get close - e.g., 1.75 MiB RAM + 112 GiB ROM for one of my
authentication server examples, for 10k requests/s on 16-core server.

Alexander