Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 15:29:21 -0700
From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...il.com>
To: "discussions@...sword-hashing.net" <discussions@...sword-hashing.net>
Subject: Re: [PHC] Memory-hard proof of work with fast verification (CPU Hash)

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 1:56 PM, Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn <zookog@...il.com>
wrote:

> Okay *one* more follow-up to my own post then I'll give you a chance
> to get a word in edgewise. I showed this thread to Greg Maxwell on IRC
> and he reminded me that the issue of the stale rate is actually very
> important for decentralization of mining. We call this
> "progress-freedom" — meaning that you don't get closer to a solution
> the more work you put in, but instead it is more of a pure Poisson
> process where, the more work you put in, the higher your *chance* of
> winning, during each successive moment. The reason this is important
> for decentralization of mining is that if the Proof-of-Work algorithm
> allows the miner to make progress then a miner with slightly more
> power than its competitor will win 100% of the blocks from its
> competitor, because each block is a race to the finish line and the
> slightly-faster runner will win every race.
>
> In practice nothing is a purely instantaneous Poisson process, and my
> rule of thumb is that if the time to run a single trial (to pick a
> single nonce, calculate the Proof-of-Work, and check whether you just
> found the winning ticket) is less than 1% of the average block time,
> that's good enough. The average block time is 10 minutes, so that
> means if the time to verify (== the time run a single trial, as long
> as we're using the simple approach of verification being the same as
> re-running the winning nonce) is less than 6 seconds then I'm not too
> worried about progress-freedom.
>
> Regards,
>
> Zooko

One more concern is a possible DDoS attack on the network.  Publishing
1,000's of fake solutions to blocks per second that require the entire
network to debunk them with a very computationally expensive verification
would be bad.  I read about that DDoS problem somewhere recently... can't
remember if it was the Argon2 paper or somewhere else.

In any case, assuming the reason we want a memory-hard PoW is to discourage
ASIC mining, I think we might want to consider memory-hard algorithms that
max out L1 + L2 + L3 capacity and bandwidth (or some reasonable fraction of
it, like 1/2).  I am not convinced we do better busting out of on-chip
cache, since a GPU and probably an ASIC or GPU would win the total I/O
bandwidth to external DRAM war.  However, it would be very hard for them to
beat the performance of my L1+L2+L3 cache system on my CPU for random
access.

I _think_ I saw the impact of botnets on the Yescrypt-based crypto-currency
(which does not use any ROM).  Whenever someone posted enough BitCoins to
make it interesting to have the Yescrypt based coins, suddenly the mining
rate would hugely increase.  As soon as those BitCoins were bought, the
mining rate would hugely decrease.  It definitely seemed like someone
controls a huge number of CPUs and can move them around quickly.  I'm not
sure it makes a ton of sense working on generic CPU based systems until
there's some resolution to that.  ShinyCoin hashed 15GiB as their solution,
which isn't too bad, except for the verification problem, and because their
Ramhog algorithm is defective.

Bill

Content of type "text/html" skipped