Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 02:22:32 +0800
From: Hongjun Wu <wuhongjun@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Overview of PHC Candidates and Garbage-Collector Attacks

Hi Jocob,

Thanks for the report.

1.   To be precise, the state of POMELO (of the second round) is updated
 3*2^{t_cost}+2 times on average  (some details: a state is updated through
feedback; local table lookup; global table lookup).

      For example, for t_cost = 0, the state is updated 5 times on average;
for t_cost = 1, the state is updated 8 times on average; for t_cost = 2,
the state is updated 14 times on average.

2.  Assume that the memory usage data in Table 1 is accurate, it is a
surprise that only two (?) finalists provide memory usage in a wide range
(Battcrypt: 128KB to 128M;   POMELO: 8 KB to 256GB).  Argon is another
candidate that provides memory in a wide range (1KB to 1GB), but Argon2
does not have that feature.

3.  Since the report talks about the security of each candidate in Table 3,
I add something on POMELO below.

     As analyzed in the POMELO document, even for t_cost = 0, POMELO
provides strong protection against the low memory attack since it is costly
to store partial state in the attack due to the combination of local table
lookup and global table lookup.  The protection mechanism of POMELO against
low memory attack is completely different from all the other candidates,
and I think that POMELO provides a very efficient approach to defend
against low memory attack.

Best Regards,
Hongjun

On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 11:05 PM, Jakob Wenzel <jakob.wenzel@...-weimar.de>