Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2015 12:10:54 +0200
From: Dmitry Khovratovich <khovratovich@...il.com>
To: "discussions@...sword-hashing.net" <discussions@...sword-hashing.net>
Subject: Re: [PHC] Bandwidth hardened algorithms?

Am I correct that the ROM is used for many subsequent blocks?

Then, the miner generates (i1,i2) <- SHA256(Header,Nonce),
computes/retrieves X1=Yescrypt_4MB (i1), X2 = Yescrypt_4MB (i2), and checks
if SHA256(X1,X2,Header,Nonce) <Target.

So this seems to be a scheme with fast variant that needs 32 GB and slower
variant that lives with 4 MB. And the verification needs 4 MB, too.

To figure out the ASIC advantage, we should compare the hash rate of a
desktop with 32 GB of RAM with the hash rate of 2^13 (disconnected) ASICs
each having 4MB on chip. In your calculations desktops do 2^16 hashes per
second, and the ASICs would do 2^25 hashes per second, so about
4000x-advantage.

Dmitry

--
Best regards,