Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 11:15:25 +0100
From: denis bider <pwhashing@...isbider.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] patents

This seems to be the sad situation, indeed.

I am of course strongly in agreement, and I can't say I know many software people who disagree with this. If my memory serves, even large software companies (Microsoft?) have come out publicly against this system.

This may be getting kinda off-topic for this group, but in your opinion, what are the reasons the US hasn't yet adopted a saner position on software patents?

Is it pressure from pharmaceutical companies who reap benefits from patents, and fear this as a slippery slope?

Is it lack of agreement on what an improved situation for software might be? Perhaps most people agree this is crap, but we differ radically on what should be done about it?

Or perhaps, could it be that major players in software have different real opinions than they are publicly expressing?