Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 20:32:01 +0000
From: Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Argon2 improvement thread

On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 7:45 PM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 12:24:00PM -0700, Bill Cox wrote:
>> If Alexander proposed to integrate his PWXFORM (I don't know what MAXFORM
>> is), then I would be for it.  This would satisfy my request for improved
>> GPU resistance, and also my request for multiplication-chain computation
>> time hardening.
>
> MAXFORM is the scalar equivalent to (and subset of) pwxform.  It's
> neither parallel, nor wide, but is otherwise the same.
>
> It would co-exist with Argon2's existing SIMD code.

Just to be clear--

By existing SIMD code you mean the compression function that includes
the BlaMka permutation from Lyra2?

E.g. You'd run the MAXFORM in parallel using the otherwise untilized
scalar multipliers concurrently with the existing (modified blake2
based) SIMD?

I consider it a virtue to leave no computational resource available to
the defender idle...