Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 09:52:08 +0000
From: Jean-Philippe Aumasson <jeanphilippe.aumasson@...il.com>
To: "discussions@...sword-hashing.net" <discussions@...sword-hashing.net>
Subject: Re: [PHC] PHC winner and special recognitions

Dear Krisztián,

I concede that in an ideal world we'd already have a detailed report with
qualitative and quantitative assessements and benchmarks and everything.

That said,

* A large part of discussions about the relative qualities of the finalists
are public, on this mailing list, where there's ample argumented and
constructive discussion about Argon2 and other finalists.

* Several panel members published their evaluations of the finalists as
well, and some others are yet to be published.

* The actual winner algorithm will be finalized through public discussions,
to which anyone can contribute.

* The email sent yesterday was an announcement of the future PHC winner and
special recognitions, which are yet to be finalized. We could have
summarized in detail why we picked Argon2 rather than another finalist but
that wasn't the point of this message. Compare with:
SHA-3:
http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/ST/hash/sha-3/sha-3_selection_announcement.pdf
CAESAR:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/crypto-competitions/upaRX2jdVCQ/ajIionLi45QJ

Ever seen a crypto competition with such a level of transparency and
collaboration?

Best,

JP

On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 10:13 AM Krisztián Pintér <pinterkr@...il.com>
wrote:

> it is sort of impressive that you managed to provide *less* rationale this
> time.
>
> On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 7:43 PM, Jean-Philippe Aumasson
> <jeanphilippe.aumasson@...il.com> wrote:
> > We have selected Argon2 as a basis for the final PHC winner.

Content of type "text/html" skipped