Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 13:36:52 +0200
From: Dmitry Khovratovich <khovratovich@...il.com>
To: "discussions@...sword-hashing.net" <discussions@...sword-hashing.net>
Cc: "cryptography@...zdowd.com" <cryptography@...zdowd.com>
Subject: Re: [PHC] [OT] Improvement to Momentum PoW

I am not sure what you're calling by "parallel rho", but the parallel
collision search by van Oorschot-Wiener deals exactly with this problem.
They call it "golden collision" search in Section 4 of
http://people.scs.carleton.ca/~paulv/papers/JoC97.pdf .

The tradeoff in that paper is very favourable to the attacker: when the
memory is reduced by P^2, the time grows by the factor of P only, so it is
the sublinear growth. Storing only some small range of Hb(i) gives  a much
worse, linear tradeoff only.

Dmitry

--
Best regards,