Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2015 15:32:01 +0200
From: bjoern.haase@...ducta.endress.com
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Is somebody working on a ANSI-C (or non C++11) implementation of Argon2 / Considerations
 with respect to memory allocation and fragmentation.

Hello,

we are considering to use the PHC winner argon2 in our application. I have
seen some remarks on the list and the argon2 homepage concerning a plain
ANSI C port. In our setting using of such a port might be preferential.
Namely, the current implementation of ARGON2 seems to rely not only on C++
but C++11 which might make the code even less portable than conventional C+
+.

Could you give me the information wether somebody is actually working on a
C port? Since our company has decided to separate crypto stuff from our
main applications and we decided to provide the crypto implementations
under CC0 as open source, we might be joining efforts.

Also if I see correctly, the large memory array used by argon2 for hashing
will currently be allocated in one single chunk which might turn out to be
difficult in systems where malloc has to deal with a lot of memory
fragmentation. I'd like to raise the question whether it would be helpful
to have a setting where the memory chunks are allocated not in one huge
contigeous area but rather smaller entities of, say 1 Mbytes each. I.e. one
would have the blocks of 1 kByte size, "chunks" of say 1 Mbyte and the
whole state of say 256 MByte?

Best regards | Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Björn Haase
E+H Conducta GmbH + Co. KG | Dieselstr. 24 | 70839 Gerlingen | Germany

Endress+Hauser Conducta GmbH+Co.KG
Amtsgericht Stuttgart HRA 201908
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Gerlingen
Persönlich haftende Gesellschafterin:
Endress+Hauser Conducta
Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Gerlingen
Amtsgericht Stuttgart HRA 201929
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Manfred Jagiella

Disclaimer:

entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you receive
computer.