Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 14:32:47 +0000
From: Jean-Philippe Aumasson <jeanphilippe.aumasson@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Specification of a modular crypt format

At the moment the specs doesn't coincide with the sample implementation
(parameters order, keyid/data). Should we..

*  Authorize parameters in arbitrary order, or in a predefined order?

* Freeze the specification of "keyid" and "data"? (is the keyid mandatory
for Argon2, compared to a mere "key=.."?)

Here's the link to the specs with edit rights:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QJva4xsY3eHNm2YiT0yPS9spRqd-N8NamYRpF5lkIzM/edit?usp=sharing
(please
report any change)

For a preliminary check of Thomas' code, tweeted this:
https://twitter.com/veorq/status/646326661491879937

Thanks!

On Sun, Sep 20, 2015 at 7:18 PM Jean-Philippe Aumasson <
jeanphilippe.aumasson@...il.com> wrote:

> Great, thanks Thomas, will review.
>
> If the code turns out to be a formal reference it'll need to mention your
> copyright and any public domain-like license you like (CC0, WTFPL, etc.).
>

> On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 7:03 PM Thomas Pornin <pornin@...et.org> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> here is some example C code that implements encoding and decoding of
>> hash strings for Argon2i.
>>
>> According to the remarks made here, I followed rules that differ from my
>> earlier draft in the following respects:
>>
>>  -- The decoder does not validate input strings; it may accept strings
>>  that do not comply with the specification (e.g. "p=01" instead of
>>  "p=1").
>>
>>  -- I am using "normal" Base64 (not the crypt variant), although I do
>>  not include the '=' padding signs.
>>
>>  -- I added two optional parameters "keyid" and "data", that correspond
>>  to an identifier for the key (if any), and associated data. Both are
>>  binary (encoded in Base64); the key ID is up to 8 bytes, while the
>>  associated data is up to 32 bytes. When they are empty, they are omitted
>>  (i.e. there is no difference in encoding between "no associated data"
>>  and "associated data has length 0").
>>
>>  -- I set the parameter order to "m, t, p, keyid, data".
>>
>> The code includes some generic Base64 encoder/decoder (about 150 lines),
>> then code specific to Argon2i (about 200 lines), and some test vectors.
>> The Base64 code is constant-time with regards to the data contents (no
>> data-dependent table lookups or branches); this is probably useless in
>> most situations, but easy enough to achieve.
>>

>> This sample code is meant to give some discussion basis about
>> implementation complexity. Feel free to reuse under "public domain"
>> rules (i.e. do everything you want except blame me).
>>

>>         --Thomas Pornin

Content of type "text/html" skipped