Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2015 04:17:53 +0300
From: Alexander Cherepanov <ch3root@...nwall.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Specification of a modular crypt format (2)

On 2015-09-29 15:55, Thomas Pornin wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 03:05:59AM +0300, Alexander Cherepanov wrote:
>> AIUI the decoder tries to be strict. Then perhaps it's worth to
>> check that 'str' doesn't start with ' ' or '-' here and try to catch
>> overflows.
>
> Strictly speaking, the decoder tries to be strict when strictness is
> cheap.  If we want a strict decoder of numerical values, strtoul()
 > won't be enough;

I've thought about something cheap, like this (untested):

#define DECIMAL(x)   do { \
		char *dec_ep; \
		if (str[0] < '0' || str[0] > '9' ||
		    str[0] == '0' && str[1] >= '0' && str[1] <= '9') { \
			return 0; \
		} \
		errno = 0; \
		(x) = strtoul(str, &dec_ep, 10); \
		if ((x) == ULONG_MAX && errno) { \
			return 0; \
		} \
		str = (const char *)dec_ep; \
	} while (0)

(The check "dec_ep == str" is no longer needed because we made sure that
the string starts with a valid number presentation but could be put back
just to be on the safe side. The check "(x) == ULONG_MAX" is probably
unnecessary but e.g. POSIX says that "The value of errno should only be
examined when it is indicated to be valid by a function's return value.")

But it turned out the description of strtoul contains the following
tidbit: "In other than the "C" locale, additional locale-specific
subject sequence forms may be accepted." So, yes, strtoul() won't be enough.

> we would need something like this:

[skip]

> I am not sure this is worth the effort. It is not very complex to do
> (less than 40 lines of C code).

Yes, I am not sure too.

>>> 	if (pp->m < 1 || (pp->m >> 30) > 3) {
>>
>> Why not just compare with a constant here?
>
> This is to avoid a spurious warning. If I write this:
>
> 	if (pp->m < 1 || pp->m > 0xFFFFFFFF)
>
> then the compiler, on a 32-bit machine, will complain that the
> comparison result is "always true". I don't want spurious warnings: they
> train developers to ignore warnings.

Ah, this is an interesting problem and you have a nice trick here. But
the need to use tricks in reference implementation is unfortunate. I
think at least a comment is warranted.

OTOH this points to another question: why did use unsigned long type at
all? AFAICT Argon2 uses uint32_t for its parameters and PHC API uses
unsigned int. And this is another argument against a use of strtoul.

Alexander Cherepanov