Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2015 10:10:24 -0800
From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...il.com>
To: "discussions@...sword-hashing.net" <discussions@...sword-hashing.net>
Subject: Memory*Time defense for 1ms hash of Argon2 vs TwoCats

I made some mistakes in my prior benchmarks.  The right way to compare
defense is when both run for the same runtime, not for filling the same
amount of memory, because runtime is normally the limiting factor, not
available memory.  Also, I over-estimated the serial multiplications in
Argon2 by 4X.  This is on my Haswell laptop.

So, here's some new data:

Argon2d 1 iterations  0.2 MiB 1 threads:  107.28 cpb 26.82 Mcycles 16256
mults
0.0101 seconds

This is a 1ms hash.  I repeated the inner loop 10 times to get more
accurate numbers, which is why it is 0.0101 seconds instead of 0.001.  It
hashes 256KiB.  However, an ASIC attacker will be limited by either memory
bandwidth, or multiplication chain latency.

Here's TwoCats:

hash:blake2s memCost:12 multiplies:1 lanes:8 parallelism:1
algorithm:twocats-extended password:password salt:salt blockSize:16384
subBlockSize:64

e9 33 97 99 fe 7f 12 83
90 96 ed 6f f6 37 d7 55
85 ab 44 b6 93 24 ea 4c
78 17 48 96 90 8c 0e ad      32 (octets)

real 0m0.756s
user 0m0.696s
sys 0m0.073s

total mults = 261120

This was for 1000 iterations.  Each iteration was 0.76ms.  Both benchmarks
allocate/free memory in each iteration.  TwoCats fills 4 MiB in less time
than Argon2 fills 256KiB, which is a factor of 16X difference.  Maybe
Argon2 has high overhead at low memory for some reason?  The number of
serial multiplications in TwoCats was also 16X higher than in Argon2.  An
ASIC attacker will run Argon2 16X faster regardless of whether
multiplications or memory bandwidth is the speed limiting factor.

The difference in memory*time ASIC defense for a 1ms runtime is greater
than 16 * 16 = 64.

The difference in ASIC defense for a fixed runtime goes as the square of
the memory filling speed.  I have not looked at the code in a while, but is
Argon2 doing some huge hashing computation at the start that would make it
difficult to do low memory hashing?  I had to modify the benchmark code to
enable it to hash less than 1MiB.

Bill

Content of type "text/html" skipped