Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 10:43:47 -0500
From: "Executable Security" <exurity@...ers.com>
To: <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: Detailed analysis: Buffer overflow in Explorer.exe on Windows XP SP1

Hi:

Obviously, I was playing in the ANSI world. Yes, I agree with you that the
exploit code written in RTF-16 can be created with a size of about 0xFF4
bytes. A piece of 0xFF4 bytes long exploit code can do a lot. So, my
previous statement about limited exploitation of this buffer overflow is not
accurate.

It should be very easy to fix this bug. I manually modified the 800H to 400h
in shell32.dll to fix it.

Thanks a lot for your mention of BOM and UTF-16. Your concept is learnt and
programmatically reproduced with GetPrivateProfileSectionW.

Best regards

Peter Huang