Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 16:31:43 +0100
From: "IRCXpro Support" <support@...xpro.com>
To: "Darren Reed" <avalon@...igula.anu.edu.au>
Cc: "morning_wood" <se_cur_ity@...mail.com>, <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>,
   <full-disclosure@...ts.netsys.com>
Subject: Re: Re: IRCXpro 1.0 - Clear local and default remote admin passwords

Reply to Feedback from Darren:

> Firstly, there has been support for storing passwords, encrypted, in
> configuration files on Unix for over 10 years, if not longer.  I can

The reason why IRC servers "IRCD.config" files don't use encryption (see
file attachment for example) is because 49 times out of 50 they do not come
with a GUI program.  Administrators main method of changing the
configuration is to manually edit the file using a notepad utility.

> at leisure.  Windows, Linux, it does not matter, there are security
> threats to all environments that when exploited given outsiders some
> sort of "local access".

Then in this case this would be an operating system vulnerability.

Overuse in the use of encrypted passwords can be counter productive to
functionality.
There are good reasons to keep passwords clear text passwords to better
interface with other software.
For example Merak Mail server software
(http://www.icewarp.com/Products/Merak_Email_Server_Software/)
When using this mail server, it can store the accounts on an SQL Server.
The passwords are stored clear text.  This enables other software to
interface with its data to create and sync its accounts/passwords with other
systems.

However we will give the issue raised due attention in our next version
release and appreciate everybody's efforts & feedback to further improving
our product.

Regards,
IRCXpro Support