Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 11:09:59 -0700
From: "Drew Copley" <dcopley@...e.com>
To: "'Jackson, Chris'" <CJackson@...dgecom.com>,
	"'Siddhartha Jain(IT)'" <SiddharthaJ@...kmuscat.com>,
	"'BUGTRAQ@...URITYFOCUS. COM'" <BUGTRAQ@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: Windows Update - Unsafe ActiveX control

You should not enable "unsafe activex", in order to get Windows Update
to work, however.

http://*.windowsupdate.com , http://download.microsoft.com,
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com , https://download.microsoft.com, and
http://*.windowsupdate.com should all be enabled in trusted sites zone.
This is by default on Windows 2003.

Some references which are a good rule of thumb:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/security/szo
ne/overview/esc_changes.asp

Windows 2003 does have a good system in this way for the paranoid. It
disables activex and activescripting, but it allows for Windows Update
to properly work. Its' settings are documented in the above url.