Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 17:07:26 -0700
From: "Thor Larholm" <thor@...x.com>
To: <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: Drivial Pursuit: Internet Explorer Browser & Your Files and Folders !

I can positively confirm this vulnerability on both WMP 7 and 8 on Windows
98, ME, 2000, XP and 2003. The default Enhanced Security Configuration of IE
on Windows 2003 does nothing to prevent automatically opening certain media
types.

The ASF file can be automatically opened through an IFRAME, both on a
webpage and in an email - even with scripting disabled in the Restricted
Zone, which has so far been a major mitigating factor. This means that an
emailborne exploit would execute immediately when a user opened or previewed
an HTML-based email.

Regards
Thor Larholm
PivX Solutions, LLC - Senior Security Researcher