Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 10:11:03 +0200
From: Andrew Thomas <andrew@...erator.co.za>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com, incidents@...urityfocus.com
Subject: RE: DCOM worm analysis report: W32.Blaster.Worm

> From: Dave Ahmad [mailto:da@...urityfocus.com]
> Sent: 11 August 2003 11:36
> Subject: DCOM worm analysis report: W32.Blaster.Worm

.. https://tms.symantec.com/members/AnalystReports/030811-Alert-DCOMworm.pdf
..

If the information contained herein is still correct, then it would appear that the algorithm used for target IP selection is far from optimal, and
would result in large concentration of traffic around the IP address ranges
of the initial infections.

While this is probably a bad thing for those concerned, this should at least
buy the rest of the 'net some time to bunker down and ensure that their
systems get patched. Unfortunately, scare situations like this may be the
only way to get most of the machines patched.

Also, if this 80/20 rule for OS selection applies (80% XP, 20% win2k), then
a lot of countries that are still predominantly running windows 2000 will
experience a slower infection rate. I haven't run any figures to determine
exactly what the difference will be, but given that here in South Africa,
out of a web server version list of 100k odd machines, IIS/5.0 was vastly
predominant, it would make some difference at least.

Q: Does the exploit use shellcode that includes a call to ExitThread or the
like, such as *not* to take down the RPC service?

>From the comment about the mutex lock, it would appear that there is some
expectation of a reinfection, so I'd guess that that was the case. Still, I'd
like confirmation. If the RPC service got taken down, then I'm sure that a lot
of sysadmin's would notice a lot more quickly.

--
Andrew G. Thomas
Hobbs & Associates Chartered Accountants (SA)