Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 20:21:50 +0200
From: "Thor Larholm" <thor@...x.com>
To: "Tri Huynh" <trihuynh@...up.com>, <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Cc: <full-disclosure@...ts.netsys.com>
Subject: Re: Microsoft MCWNDX.OCX ActiveX buffer overflow

The MCWNDX.OCX binary is digitally signed by Microsoft, and as such you can
plant it on the users machine just by pointing the codebase attribute of your
OBJECT tag to an archived copy of the file on your own server.

This also applies to other outdated ActiveX controls, even when a newer
(patched)  version exists and is installed on the users machine you can still
re-introduce the old, buggy version since it is digitally signed by Microsoft.

Regards
Thor Larholm
PivX Solutions, LLC - Senior Security Researcher