Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 11:00:04 -0700
From: Crispin Cowan <crispin@...unix.com>
To: Florian Weimer <fw@...eb.enyo.de>
Subject: Re: PointGuard: It's not the Size of the Buffer, it's the Address
 of the Pointer

Florian Weimer wrote:

>Crispin Cowan <crispin@...unix.com> writes:
>

>>Thanks to Snax and the Shmoo for a better tag line: It's not the Size
>>of the Buffer, it's the Address of the Pointer
>>

>This is not true.  There are buffer overflow exploits which do not
>modify pointers, but other objects.  The most prominent example is
>probably the "c c c c c..." exploit for the Solaris /bin/login
>vulnerability.

Please address technical commentary to the paper (which addresses this
point) and not to the cute tag line.

WRT this point: correct, PointGuard does not stop all buffer overflows.
IMHO it *nearly* stops all shell code. To bypass PointGuard, you have to
corrupt the logic of the program itself to get its own code to do what
you want; you can't readily generate a jump to arbitrary code.

Caveat: I can't prove the above, and someone may generate a bypass. But
I don't know of one.

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.           http://immunix.com/~crispin/