Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 11:21:08 -0700
From: "Geoff Shively" <gshively@...x.com>
To: <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: Re: CNN: 'Explores Possibility that Power Outage is Related to Internet Worm'

This email was origionaly posted to bugtraq early on in the 'crisis' but due
to obvious congestion and instability issues it wasnt posted for a while.

Since this post I have done much research on SCADA, DCS, and HMI
(Human Machine Interface) systems. These systems run primarily
on Windows and rely on RPC for remote monitoring. If this doesnt
sound like an overwhealiming coincidance than I dont know what does.

[ http://216.239.37.104/search?q=cache:w7lnOBBrPxUJ:st-div.web.cern
.ch/st-div/ST2001WS/Proceedings/Session42/Sollander.pdf+SCADA+
Windows+RPC&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

"The data transmission layer is used to transport data from the equipment
to at least one controlor monitoring application. This is usually done by
remote procedure calls (RPC) or a middle-wareover a TCP/IP network."
- CERN ]

There has been much talk about this on DShield and Full Disclosure if
anyone is interested in reading more.

Cheers,

Geoff Shively, CHO
PivX Solutions, LLC