Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 13:42:29 -0400
From: "David J. Meltzer" <djm@...rusec.com>
To: <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>, <incidents@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: msblast.d and a review of defensive worms

As many people have undoubtably already seen, the newest variant of
msblast (dubbed msblast.d, see
http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WORM_MSB
LAST.D) is one of a growing group of "good/defensive worms."

As every previous "good" worm has, this will of course touch off another
debate on just how bad worms of this variety are.  Coincidentally
(really!) I have been polishing a presentation on defensive worms I will
be giving at Toorcon.  Since the historical portion of my presentation
has become so timely, I've put up that first portion of my presentation
on the web for anyone interested to review.

It is directly linked at http://www.intrusec.com/resources.html, no
registration of any kind is required to read.  If you have any errata or
additional references, feel free to e-mail me privately and I will
incorporate them.

Here is also the list of references from this presentation for anyone
who just wants to go directly to the source material and skip my fluff:

1. Stansell-Gamm, Martha.  "Good Worms Not Mature", May 26, 2003.

-Dave

-------------------
David J. Meltzer
djm@...rusec.com
CTO, Intrusec, Inc.

Captus Networks - Integrated Intrusion Prevention and Traffic Shaping
 - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
 - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
 - Ensure Reliable Performance of Mission Critical Applications
 - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security and Performance Policies
**FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit - WhitePapers - Live Demo
Visit us at:
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CaptusNetworks_incidents_030814