Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 14:09:42 -0400
From: Evan Teran <emt3734@...vax.isc.rit.edu>
To: "Joyce, MP (Matthew) " <M.P.Joyce@...ac.uk>,
	'Balwinder Singh' <balwinder@....net>, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Need help. Proof of concept 100% security.

One concept that is similar to this that I was thinking would be to give each
process a 32 byte array to represent a syscall allowed mask (1 bit for each,
up to 256 syscalls).  And there would be a special syscall which allows a
process to drop permission to call a given syscall (similar to those
processes which start with root and drop to a nobody user like apache, but
lower level).  This syscall would only allow to drop, not add a permission
and could accept a mask to do several at a time for efficiency purposes.

Finally as apposed to killing the process, simply return the "syscall not
implemented" value.

This mod would be entirely backwards compatible but has the downside of
relying one the user space program to do a good job of dropping all but the
bare neccessities, but i think has a lot of potential for success.

The nice thing is that it doesnt rely on any database or tracking, just a
quick check in the int 0x80 handler (for linux at least).

Just a thought