Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 05:05:19 -0700
From: "Thomas C. Greene " <thomas.greene@...register.co.uk>
To: Florian Weimer <fw@...eb.enyo.de>, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com,
	full-disclosure@...ts.netsys.com
Subject: Re: Popular Net anonymity service back-doored

I agree that the dirty work has to be done on the proxy, but it's reasonable
to imagine that the client update was issued to maintain compatibility with
whatever was done to the proxy software. Maybe the two are unrelated as the
group says, but how can I trust them when they continue to soft-pedal the
security implications of the back door?

Yes, the code sort of shouts at you, and this may well be a deliberate heads
up.  However, the group is still in denial, insisting that their service is
secure (see the press release linked in the Register story). It's not secure,
and claiming that it is taints anything else they may be doing on behalf of
users. They're *still* saying it's impossible for anyone to intercept users'
traffic or identify them. That simply isn't true.

It's likely were legally prevented from issuing a clear warning, which is why
I say they should have taken the service down in protest.  I don't know
German law, but I'd be surprised if the courts can force you to provide a
communications service just so the Feds can use it.

Leaving a hint in the source and waiting for someone to call them on it may be
a legal strategem, but it's not a good way of maintaining user trust.  It
took too long for this to become public.  A better way to maintain trust
would be to stage a protest shutdown, or, if that's legally risky, a silent
shutdown and a subsequent leak to the press.  No decent reporter would reveal
their source in a case like this, and approaching a journo based in another
country would add another layer of protection.

chrz,
t.