Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 08:16:55 -0400
From: Lawrence MacIntyre <lpz@...l.gov>
To: Stefano Zanero <stefano.zanero@...e.org>
Cc: BugTraq <BUGTRAQ@...URITYFOCUS.COM>
Subject: Re: Windows Update: A single point of failure for the world's	economy?

Stefano:

I rebuilt my Windows 2000 system from scratch this spring because of an
update.  I can't remember the patch number anymore, but I remember that
it was a critical security update.  I also remember reading about it the
day after it happened to me.  Supposedly it was related to another patch
that had been previously applied and it only happened to W2K Pro.  The
symptom was that the machine blue-screened during startup.  Safe Mode
didn't help.

Now I don't let Windows Update touch my machine until the patch has been
there for about 2 weeks and I haven't heard anything bad about it.