Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:13:57 -0400
From: MightyE <trash@...htye.org>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: base64

I agree, I don't think it's unreasonable to reject improperly formatted
messages.  Chances are much higher that they're spam or virii, and the
minority with broken clients will find their way to non-broken clients.
If you are parsing the message, particularly looking for malware, and
encounter an improper encoding, bounce the message with a meaningful
error, this way you don't have to worry about a targeted exploit that
depends on the way one email client (mis)interprets a message in a
different way from your virus scanner.

The RFC does declare an = to indicate that the end of the data stream
has been reached, further data should be truncated, though it seems each
email client actually handles this differently.  Take the low road
catchall, and simply reject them as a matter of course.

-Eric Stevens
mightye a@t mightye d.o.t org