Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 13:59:56 -0700
From: Ranjeet Shetye <ranjeet.shetye2@...tys.com>
To: Claus A <bugtraq-me@....net>
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: SMC Router Denial of Service exploit

On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 13:13, Claus A wrote:
> Hi
>
> > Tested on an SMC2404WBR - BarricadeT Turbo 11/22 Mbps Wireless Cable/DSL
> > Broadband Router.
>
> I ve just tested this code against my SMC 2404WBR. Firmware Version 1.0.10.
> But it didnt work.
>
> I saw a lot of UDP & ICMP on the air, but I could access the AP all the
> time. Slower as normal but there was still a connection. As stopping the
> attack after ~ 10 min everything was just normal.
>
> > Sending a stream of UDP random packets to multiple ports 0-65000 on the
> > router will cause the router to freeze until a soft reset is performed on
> > it.
>
> I ran the attack against the wireless port.
> Perhaps it only works on the WAN Port?
>
> Greets
> Claus

Can confirm DoS weakness in SMC 7004VWBR on WAN side.

Traffic = large loads of UDP and/or ICMP traffic on WAN side.
Stateful Packet Inspection is ON.
Firmware = v1.23 (Part No. 720.638)

(This information pertains to my home network and is unrelated to my
employer Zultys.)

--

Ranjeet Shetye
Senior Software Engineer

The views, opinions, and judgements expressed in this message are solely
those of the author. The message contents have not been reviewed or
approved by Zultys.