Date: 7 Oct 2003 13:26:31 -0000
From: <dave@...unitysec.com>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: The joys of impurity (was: MOSDEF, InlineEgg)

Well, MOSDEF is fairly far along, but the C compiler is not quite done, so no, you can't compile nmap and send it over for execution.

Of course, that's not even an intended application. MOSDEF doesn't attach stdin and stdout to anything in particular. All communication with the little shellcode stubs you send over is done via an included "sendbuffer, sendint, sendstring" API. This is so you can transparantly spawn two (or more) little shellcodes at once and not have them interleave their data over the socket as they send data back to you.

Most of a MOSDEF application is actually written in Python. Only loops and other sorts of small things are sent over for execution. This is because it makes sense to have high-level decision making done by a "decision making entity" with access to the larger picture. It's also non-optimal to break into a client's box in China and then have to send a meg of static binary across to it before you can do anything.

Another benefit of this design is that you won't have to collect staticly linked binaries that happen to work on every architecture you want to hack. MOSDEF is a lot like GCC and a sourceforge subscription in that regard.

Of course, impurity is working right now, for small things, and MOSDEF needs to get another 40 hours or so before [#include,while,for,if,struct] are done, so for the "where do you want to go today?" question impurity might be the right answer.

Dave Aitel
Immunity, Inc.
"Where do you want to go tomarrow?"