Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 16:03:50 -0700
From: Terence Runge <terencerunge@...global.net>
To: soc.rpc@...ilantminds.com, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Bad news on RPC DCOM vulnerability

I have also seen a significant rise in smb login failures with the snort
signature:

alert tcp any 445 -> any any (sid:10000216; msg:"SMB Login Failure";
flow:from_server,established; content:"|FF|SMB|73 6d 00 00 c0|"; offset:4
; depth:9;)

The login failures are from systems running XP and would logically fire
in the face of this exploit. Running nmap with -A gives us a good look
at the service on port 445, even though the OS details are identified as
Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me), Windows 2000 Professional or
Advanced Server, or Windows XP

nmap -sS -O -A x.x.x.x

Starting nmap 3.45 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap ) at 2003-10-11 14:54
Pacific Daylight Time
Interesting ports on DEMENTIA (x.x.x.x):
(The 1652 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
PORT     STATE SERVICE      VERSION
135/tcp  open  msrpc        Microsoft Windows msrpc
139/tcp  open  netbios-ssn
445/tcp  open  microsoft-ds Microsoft Windows XP microsoft-ds
707/tcp  open  unknown
1030/tcp open  iad1?
1 service unrecognized despite returning data. If you know the
service/version, please submit the following fingerprint at http
g/cgi-bin/servicefp-submit.cgi :
SF-Port1030-TCP:V=3.45%D=10/11%Time=3F887C52%r(SMBProgNeg,18,"\x05\0\r\x03
SF:\x10\0\0\0\x18\0\0\0\0\x08\x01@\x04\0\x01\x05\0\xfa\x9f\x06");
Device type: general purpose
Running: Microsoft Windows 95/98/ME|NT/2K/XP
OS details: Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me), Windows 2000
Professional or Advanced Server, or Windows XP

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 87.703 seconds

So, in the face of this exploit, and without a vendor provided patch,
would it be safe to say that any system returning the nmap scan value

445/tcp  open  microsoft-ds Microsoft Windows XP microsoft-ds

is potentially vulnerable?