Date: 9 Nov 2003 00:01:08 -0000
From: Adam Zabrocki <pi3ki31ny@...pl>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: DoS in PureFTPd

PureFTPd all versions vulnerability.

I.  Entry.

    Vuln are all version deamons PureFTP. There is DoS bug.

II. Vulnerability details.

    Vulnerability function is displayrate(). There is simple
overflow bug (DoS):

"in file src/ftpd.c"
static void displayrate(const char *word, off_t size,
                        const double started,
                        const char * const name, int up)
{
        char *resolved_path;
        if (realpath(name, resolved_path) == NULL) {
        if (resolved_path[sizeof_resolved_path - 1U] != 0) {
            for (;;) {
                *resolved_path++ = 0;
            }
        }
}

Function realpath() is write by autor PureFTP. We can find her
in file src/bsd-realpath.c. This function write string to resolved_path
and next call to if check the memory, and when are written in
specific place, than loop for() do DoS.

Now look at simple program to test it. Here is it:

"test.c"
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

#define MAX 65536U
int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
   char *resolved;
   const size_t sizeof_resolved_path = MAX + 1U;
int error_func()
     {

   if(resolved[sizeof_resolved_path - 1U] != 0)
     {

        for( ; ; )
          {
             *resolved++ = 0;
          }
     }
     }
   printf("Just a small test for DoS in pureftpd\n");

          error_func();

          printf("if you see this msg the error dosent exist\n");

}

Ok we have here the situaction like in PureFTP. Now compile that test program
and run with gdb. Here:

GNU gdb 5.2
are
conditions.
details.
This GDB was configured as "i386-slackware-linux"...
(gdb) r
Starting program: /home/tyytus/code/DoS/test
Just a small test for DoS in pureftpd

0x08048364 in error_func.0 ()
(gdb)

We have DoS and program write '0' in bad memory ;]

III. Exploit.

    Nah :-) We don't coded yet :(

--
pi3 (pi3ki31ny) - pi3ki31ny@...pl (Thx to tajtus for test and Azido)