Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 15:19:50 -0600
From: "Ed Carp" <erc@...ox.com>
To: "C Ryll" <carolynryll@...mail.com>, <aluigi@...ervista.org>,
	<bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: Gamespy uses DMCA to destroy bug research and full disclosure

> Universal vs. Reimerdes Case Details
> DeCSS is a program designed to circumvent CSS (Content Scramble System),
> which is the technology that motion picture studios (I.e.,
> Universal) place
> on DVDs to prevent the unauthorized viewing and copying of motion
> pictures.
> CSS allows DVDs to be played on computers and DVD players, but does not
> allow the copying or manipulation of a DVD's contents.
>
> DeCSS decrypts the CSS protection mechanisms, thus allowing the
> copying of a
> DVD's contents onto a computer system for full manipulation and
> copying of
> the newly created (and very large) computer file. The large file can be
> compressed using a freely available compression application
> entitled "DivX"
> that allows for the transfer of the compressed file back onto a DVD, or
> across the Internet. DeCSS was marketed for the playing of DVDs
> on multiple
> platforms, as well as for the copying of DVDs. The writers of DeCSS claim
> that their intention was to produce a program that allowed DVDs
> to be played
> on the Linux operating system (something that was not available at that
> time).

It is extremely important to point out that DeCSS, or any other decryption
software, does not "permit" the copying of a protected DVD any more than the
gas pedal on your car "permits" you to speed.  DeCSS has nothing to do with
the ability to copy a DVD, but affects the ability to view the DVD on an
operating system other than what was originally intended.

In fact, I can copy DVDs to my hard drive all day long, without any special
hardware or software - all I have to do is open Windows Explorer, select the
DVD-ROM drive, and drag-and-drop all those nice big .vob files to my hard
drive.  If I want to burn those files to another DVD, nothing prevents me
from doing so, and certainly not CSS.  I could burn 100 copies of my brand
new Terminator 3 DVD, and CSS has nothing to do with it.

I would think this point would be obvious, but you'd be surprised how often
I've had to point this out to talk show hosts.