Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 18:37:13 +0100
From: Matthias Buelow <mkb@...appabeta.de>
To: "Andreas \"Constantinides (MegaHz)\"" <megahz@...ahz.org>
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: simple buffer overflow in gedit

Andreas Constantinides (MegaHz) wrote:

> Hello,
> I discover a strange but simple buffer overflow in gedit.
> I am using RH9,
> to demostrate the buffer here is a simple file buffer generator:

[writes 9999999 A's to stdout]

> # g++ -o buffer buffer.c
> # ./buffer > lala
> # gedit lala
> Segmentation fault
> #

your process most likely gets killed because of a resource limit.  check
ulimit.  gedit grows to over 300mb rss with that file as input and seems
to stay occupied with running whatever suboptimal algorithms it has for
that special case.  clearly it's not the proper tool to operate on such
files.  it doesn't crash, however, at least not the current version 2.4.0.

--
no signature is a good signature