Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 09:17:33 -0500
From: "mightye[removethis]" <"mightye[removethis]"@mightye.org>
To: "Kevin E. Casey" <kcasey@...oweb.com>
Cc: "BUGTRAQ@...URITYFOCUS. COM" <BUGTRAQ@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: Re: HP printers and currency anti-copying measures

Or use Photoshop 7, 6, 5.5, 5, etc.  I seriously doubt that there are
any advancements in newer versions of Photoshop which make
counterfitting significantly easier.  Scanning is scanning, and given
that what you're trying to do is reproduce an existing image, not create
a new one, the editing features found in new versions of Photoshop will
provide very little advantage in this regard aside maybe from a little
clean up of dirt on the glass of the scanner.

The point is, they don't really raise the bar to counterfitting, all
they do is raise the bar to legitimate use.  Besides, there's always
Gimp and open source software.  Building in such restrictions to that
software, given that the code source is available means that any serious
counterfitter will recompile with out the protections.  There'll
therefore always be photo editing suites available which don't possess
these limitations, and so there'll always be a way around it.  It's the
wrong approach to preventing counterfitting, it's kludgey and won't ever
work well.

I guess though what it *will* do is prevent teenagers from printing out
$5 bills and tossing them in the coin machine at the arcade, or any
other electronic eye.  This is petty theft though, and it hardly seems
fair to restrict legitimate consumers, costing them ultimately hundreds
of hours to lost performance or costing them the fair use of money
images to save $5 here and there.

It's the same problem as DRM enabled music.  It'll always be defeatable,
and given that in that case there's the "analog hole" problem, will not
ever stop someone serious about committing the crime, thus all it does
is inconvenience or prohibit fair use.

-Eric "MightyE" Stevens
http://lotgd.net
*note* If you wish to reply, please remove my spam blocking
"[removethis]" from my email address.