Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 07:36:55 -0500
From: "Dave Paris" <dparis@...orks.com>
To: "Hilmi Ozdoganoglu" <cyprian@...due.edu>,
	<bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: http://www.smashguard.org

I'm not sure I understand the economics involved here.  Taking the
worst-case (software) cited at an 8.3% performance hit, this says a 3.2GHz
P4 will give approximately the same performance as a 2.9GHz machine.  Or put
another way, for every 12 machines I have operating on a problem (say, in a
cluster of some sort), I have to add in one additional machine to make up
for the performance hit.  If we're talking about commodity, x86 server type
hardware, we're not talking about a lot of money, even if you factor in the
additional costs for another switch port, etc.  Certainly not the kind of
money one would expect to be kicking around for custom CPUs - which I would
guess to be _well_ in excess of SPARC or PA-RISC prices.

I think the project/product is quite interesting from an academic
standpoint, but unless it can be put into mainstream production with
existing vendors, my realistic side says it'll never be economically
feasible to get out of academia.

Kind Regards,
-dsp