Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 09:41:39 -0500
From: "Larry Seltzer" <larry@...ryseltzer.com>
To: <Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu>
Cc: <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: Hysterical first technical alert from US-CERT

>>OK. So let's see.  We've got one highly successful virus (MyDoom.A) on the loose at
the time of writing, another variant that's essentially identical except for the target,
and no clear indication why this one *shouldn't* take off as well.
>>Yes, it took an extreme view that nobody is supporting *NOW*.  Now isn't last
Wednesday night, when there wasn't a week's worth of hindsight.

The advisory specifically says that MyDoom.B is spreading rapidly, and that was never
the case. It didn't say that it *could* spread rapidly. Maybe you think misinforming in
order to induce caution is a good idea, but I expect nothing but the truth from an
agency like this.

Larry Seltzer
eWEEK.com Security Center Editor
http://security.eweek.com/