Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 21:26:58 +0100
From: "Peter J. Holzer" <hjp@....ac.at>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Apache Http Server Reveals Script Source Code to Remote Users And Any Users Can Access The Forbidden Directory ("/WEB-INF/")

[reformatted for better readability]

On 2004-02-14 09:11:40 -0700, J. wrote:
> :> From: Alun Jones [mailto:alun@...is.com]
> :>

Alun wrote "there *was* a bug", which implies that is has been fixed.

IE doesn't have anything to do with it it just sends the URL to the web
server which serves some content. For static content, the server usually
just tries to access a file and serves its content. It may impose
additional rules, though.

> Perhaps your 'claim' can be further substatiated by what 'you' are doing
> to IE to cause this.

I didn't do anything to IE. I just created a directory "testdir" and
file "test.txt" and tried to access "testdir...." and "test.txt...."
from cmd, which worked. That's why I claimed that "On Windows, trailing
dots seem to be ignored". A web server on windows needs to take this
into account, just like it has to take into account that filenames are
case-insensitive.

This was on Windows 2000, SP2 (oops, rather old - but that box is going
to be reinstalled RSN anyway, says our Windows-Admin), so maybe it is
fixed in WinXP or some W2K SP.

	hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer      | Shooting the users in the foot is bad.
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR / LUGA  | Giving them a gun isn't.
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/   |     mozilla bug #84128