Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 14:58:07 -0800
From: "Drew Copley" <dcopley@...e.com>
To: <1@...ware.com>, <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: RE:  Re: is predicatable file location a vuln? (was RE: Aol Instant Messenger/Microsoft Internet Explorer remote code execution)

If the predictable path involves server or client access, then it is
definitely a security bug. It may be moderate or low risk depending on
the potentiality of abuse and perhaps other factors. But, as a security
bug it should be higher risk then high risk, non-security issues.

With Internet Explorer or Outlook or Winamp and so on... These kinds of
client applications have shown that these issues tend more towards being
moderate security issues of the "configuration error" type.

Anyway, not to be dogmatic, but I do believe this is reasonable.

If Microsoft is not fixing these issues because they do not consider
them security issues nor even bugs then they are obviously negligent and
grossly so.

<snip>