Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 05:59:41 -0800 (PST)
From: Will Image <xillwillx@...oo.com>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.netsys.com
Subject: Re: laptop security

actually i was looking into the same kind of thing... ihad a few option , the easiest being of course was to have a program startup with the OS and when a net connection was detected it would 'phone home' with info , but this opton can be bypassed if the thief formats the drive... second option would have been to write a small program into the boot sector of the hard drive that cant be overwritten but i dont have that much experience / or extra hard drives to try to test it... so the third alternative was to put a small hardware gps-type transmitter inside the laptop itself that , for a small monthly fee the person/company can track the where-abouts of the user/thief
anyone interested in persuing something like this can shoot me over an email

Gadi Evron <ge@...tistical.reprehensible.net> wrote:
I think this may interest some people here.

I always say, whenever laptops are mentioned: "Forget everything else, I
have nightmares already!".

The loss of information due to laptop thefts is extremely high, here is
an innovation that may possibly be as useless as car theft alarms
(unless you are nearby and didn't leave the laptop in the car), but it's
a good start. This may actually be useful.

What I'd like to see is a GPS device with wireless communication to my
cell phone. It can be a quiet indicator, or perhaps ring when it is
being moved.. or even when I move too far away from it.

You can find the article at:
http://www.canada.com/vancouver/story.html?id=511952d3-89a0-4a03-a092-be29eaeb346f

Gadi Evron.