Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 15:55:55 -0500 (CDT)
From: Daniel Regalado Arias <dan57170@...oo.com>
To: Rodrigo Gutierrez <rodrigo@...ellicomp.cl>,
   full-disclosure@...ts.netsys.com, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com,
   submissions@...ketstormsecurity.org, info@...uriteam.com
Subject: Re: Microsoft's Explorer and Internet Explorer long share name buffer overflow.

Well, i have tested it in W2k with sp3 and explorer
didnt get crashed!!!!!!!

Well, i cant get into the share because a message
appears saying "share name not found"!!!!

But, explorer is OK.

 --- Rodrigo Gutierrez <rodrigo@...ellicomp.cl>
escribió: > Sunday afternoon is a bit boring, and
weather sucks
> down here in Santiago,
> Chile so here we go...
> The vuln is attached in TXT format, I would be
> gratefull if someone could
> verify if it affects windows 2003 as well.
>
> Rodrigo.-
> > Microsoft Explorer and Internet Explorer Long
Share

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322857

> Background.
>
> MS Explorer (explorer.exe) and MS Internet
> Explorer(IEXPLORE.EXE) are
> core pieces of Microsoft Windows Operating Systems.
>

> Description
>
> Windows fails to handle long share names when
> accessing a remote
> file servers such as samba, allowing a malicious
> server to crash the
> clients explorer and eventually get to execute
> arbitrary code in the
> machine as the current user (usually with
> Administrator rights in windows
> machines).
>

> Analysis
>
> In order to exploit this, an attacker must be able
> to get a user to connect
> to a malicious server which contains a share name
> equal or longer than 300
> characters, windows wont allow you to create such a
> share, but of course samba
> includes the feature ;).   After your samba box is
> up and running create a
> share in you smb.conf :

[AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA]