Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 09:36:00 +1200
From: James Riden <j.riden@...sey.ac.nz>
To: InfoSec@...a.com
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: After Ms patches last Wed ...

InfoSec@...a.com writes:

> I've been following this thread and the stated instabilities of the
> MS04-011 security update, I had determined to delay deployment of this
> patch until it was stabilized but it seems it wasnt stabilized fast enough
> to beat the worms to market.
>
> Now of course this same LSASS vuln addressed by MS04-011 is the target of
> the Sasser worm....
>
> undeployable/unstable patch + critical vulnerability = the even greater
> threat of the sasser worm(s)... good job.
>
> I read in a article on this patch that the instability is only present if
> the "Nortel Networks VPN client is installed and the IPSec Policy Agent is
> set to manual or automatic startup type", does anyone have any further
> input on MS04-011? Stable on a standard Win2k server install or not?

We've just seen issues with some USB storage devices after applying
MS04-011. No good details yet I'm afraid, but you might want to test
the patch on a few machines first.

It's been stable on all the servers (just over 100) I've applied it
to.

cheers,
 Jamie
--
James Riden / j.riden@...sey.ac.nz / Systems Security Engineer
This post does not necessarily represent the views of my employer.