Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 15:47:39 -0400
From: Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu
To: sandrijeski@...oo.com
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Microsoft Internet Explorer ImageMap URL Spoof Vulnerability

On Thu, 27 May 2004 09:53:33 -0000, sandrijeski@...oo.com  said:
> I can't see this as vulnerability because its legal code I do something similar without using image map for my site to hide the affiliate tracking code.

> <a onmouseover="window.status='http://www.the-url-you-see.com;return true"
> title="The Link"
> onmouseout="window.status='Whatever-you-like-here';return true"
> href='http://www.some-other-url.com'>The link</a>

Two points:

1) Your method doesn't work if the browser has disabled Javascript.  Many people
disable Javascript precisely because they don't like the concept of web page designers
doing this sort of obfuscation.  The fact that there exists a way to work around
disabled Javascript *is* a vulnerability...

2) The fact that there are other ways to achieve the same end doesn't mean that
it's not a vulnerability.  Or do you claim that because so-called "419 scams"
have been run in the past using fax spam rather than e-mail spam, that e-mail
based 419 scams are therefor not a fraud?  Or that because sidewalk con artists
have been playing 3-card monte that pigeon drop scams aren't fraud?