Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 18:19:57 -0300
From: "Romulo M. Cholewa" <rmc@....eti.br>
To: <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: Antivirus/Trojan/Spyware scanners DoS!

Hi there,

I'm accessing the web right now through a Kerio Winroute Firewall with
McAfee protection (transparent proxy). Didn't detect at all while
downloading the file.

Once the download completed, manual scan with Symantec AV Corporate (8.1
with Client Security and defs. from 13/06/2004 rev. 17) properly detected
the eicar test strings and removed the files which means that the realtime
protection didn't work since the file was saved locally).

But the interesting thing is: I tried to send the file attached as a hotmail
message to myself. The rtvscan.exe process started eating up CPU, like it
entered a loop of some sort. I left it running for 20 minutes, and had to
kill it (the hotmail upload option timed out).

Romulo M. cholewa
Home: http://www.rmc.eti.br
News: http://www.rmc.eti.br/news
PGP key id 0x7F8A3B40