Date: 17 Jun 2004 20:49:37 -0000
From: <qazxdrgb@...mail.com>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: MAGIC XSS INTO THE DNS: coelacanth

This just plain simple XSS attacks, and additionally it relies on a (long since?) patched vulnerability in IIS.

>Still unclear how or why this can be interpreted into the site
>or through the browser.

What is unclear?
1. they allow (whatever).(domainanme) hostnames into  site. That is not very uncommon.
2. they generate absolute paths by concatenating "http://"+hostname+"/URI"
3. webserver does not abort with HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request as it should.

This is not that uncommon, looking for this we will most likely find it in a lot of CGI/PHP/JSP/ASP code. Luckily, the attack requires the host to accept silly hostnames. The problem with e-gold.com is that they use an old webserver with an already fixed IIS vulnerability I think;

bash-2.02$ cat test.txt
GET /hello/just/a/test/please/forgive/me HTTP/1.1
Host: ">&lt;script&gt;alert()&lt;/script&gt;

bash-2.02$ nc www.microsoft.com 80 < test.txt
HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request