Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 16:54:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: RSnake <rsnake@...cking.com>
To: Gadi Evron <ge@...tistical.reprehensible.net>
Cc: Harlan Carvey <keydet89@...oo.com>, full-disclosure@...ts.netsys.com,
   bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: USB risks (continued)

	Autorun doesn't work with USB keyfobs.  Actually, it is my
understanding that it doesn't work on any media that is deemed writable and
removable.  The distinction between USB devices and CDs is that the media is
writeable, but the drives aren't removeable on CDs.  That of course isn't true
if you have a USB drive, but I think part of the deal there is that you need to
install special drivers to even read USB CD drives.  That's kinda a weird
distinction, but I researched it quite a bit earlier this year and that's just
how they define it.  With the advent of bootable USB devices, and more USB
support, you can pretty much bet things will change, but for right now, autorun
isn't an issue.

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Gadi Evron wrote:

| Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 18:09:20 +0200
| From: Gadi Evron <ge@...tistical.reprehensible.net>
| To: Harlan Carvey <keydet89@...oo.com>
| Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.netsys.com, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
| Subject: USB risks (continued)
|
| I'm emailing this to bugtraq as well. A discussion there might produce
| more interesting results than "MS sucks" on FD. This is rather important
| and has grown in importance over the last couple of years. There were a
| few discussions on the subject, but nothing to help formulate a plan on
| how to defend against it.
|
| Here goes...
|
| >>  This issue has been discused in pentest list. Take
| >>a look at:
|  >>http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/sf/pentest/2004-05/0136.html
| > I don't think the issue is that it's been discussed,
| > more that it hasn't been really resolved/addressed.
|
| I already replied to Harlan off-list, but I figured I might as well
| reply about some of this here as well.
|
| First off, it has been discussed rather fully on pen-test and the
| archives would make a good resource.
|
| Auto-run certainly isn't a new issue and a factor in every hardening of
| a Windows system for a while now. It was a big "thing" 2 years ago.
|
| It should be tested further, but the risk of the USB as a mechanism for
| stealing information and/or introducing a Trojan horse/gaining access to
| a PC is what we need to be concerned about.
|
| Regular usage of a USB drive makes the cleaning crew potentially the
| richest sort on earth.
|
| What I believe issues that would have to be addressed in the future, are:
| [Please keep in mind that USB performs as a hub/client model and that
| the main driver for USB devices is built into Windows, unlike what I
| originally thought before looking further into this]
|
| 1. Better systems to track/deny usage of USB drives (all-together or of
|     particular types, negatively or positively). Several systems
|     already exist, from removing USB/gluing the plug to programs
|     that sit on a Domain.
| 2. Buffer Overflow:
|     I personally find the USB driver to be rather unstable, although
|     others disagree. A buffer overflow in the driver can be catastrophic
|     and _perhaps_ even effect very strong crypto-systems. Maybe systems
|     like eToken, although I haven't looked into it, so i can't say.
| 3. SDK's:
|     Many SDK's exist for developing USB drivers. If a backdoor is put
|     into even just one of them...
|     There is a huge market for USB coders. Any kiddie interested?
|
| On the organizational level, it should be addressed in a matter of
| policy, and enforced by different monitoring systems.
|
| This issue isn't singular to USB, but it highlights the problem rather
| nicely.
|
| Some future trends might be wireless control of remote systems via USB,
| going to a PC with a PDA and choosing what to get.change, or simply
> [...]

-R

privileged.  It is intended solely for the addressee.  Access to
this email by anyone else is unauthorized.  If you are not the
intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is
expressly prohibited and may be unlawful.