Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 00:11:11 +1200
From: Jp Wise <jpwise@...thome.net>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.netsys.com
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Re: USB risks (continued)

Hi All, this isn't a subject I claim to know anything about, but has
anyone previously looked at using the partition table, and it's various
codes for the filesystems? A USB or PCMCIA drive for that matter has
it's own partition table (I believe). The OS then reads the table, and
loads the approprate filesystem driver to attempt mounting the
filesystem. fastfat.sys ntfs.sys and possibly even cdfs.sys

If there's a bug or a buffer overflow that can be accessed via the
filesystem driver itself then it may be exploitable. I believe the
filesystem drivers are probably a Ring0 driver aswell, so if it was
exploited it's straight into the bottom level of the OS.

If 2k or XP will install the device while the workstation is still
locked it leads that you might be able to gain admin even on a locked
workstation (or server). Although I don't have a usb drive so can't test
if it installs or not.

Just an idea.

Jp.